Sunday, May 14, 2017

Happy Mother's Day

My vivid memories of growing up are very limited. I don't remember a lot about school or hanging out with friends but I have some very strong memories of growing up with my mom. I called her Mother Nature and mother and ma. I don't think I ever called her mommy but that could be my memory failing me once again.

She would lay me up on the kitchen counter so my head would fall into the sink and she would wash my hair, usually twice because it was so oily, and I would fall into a relaxed daze. She pulled a chair up to that same counter and taught me how to crack an egg and eventually how to make pancakes and meatballs and mashed potatoes and chocolate chip cookies. She ironed almost everything, including my dads handkerchiefs, while watching "Another World" and "Days of Our Lives." When I went off to kindergarten for a half day in the mornings, she would pick me up from school, cart me home and let me iron while she folded laundry. I loved watching "Days" with her.

My mom taught me how to keep a home. It was neat as a pin and so clean you could eat off the floors (until we got a dog). She also taught me that every day wouldn't be easy. She cried in front of us, she got angry and would sometimes leave a walk it off and, while others might see that as weakness or maybe even wrong, I know now that she taught me that it was ok to FEEL whatever I felt. Feelings are feelings and nobody can say they are wrong.

I watched my mom with my baby sister (and with many kids that followed as my mom babysat them in our home). She would sit them on her lap, facing her, and she would talk to them and play pat-a-cake, holding their hands and teaching them how to clap and wave and reach to the sky saying, "SO BIG!" Watching her made me want to be a mom more than anything else in life.

She has been married to my dad for almost 50 years. Until a few years ago, she made dinner almost every night and, when my dad was working, she had that dinner on the table the moment he walked in the door. They still hold hands. They kiss each other good night and say "I love you" every single night. They taught me that even though it's hard work, it's possible to love someone "til death."

I am so grateful to have been given my mom as my mom.

Now, we work in the kitchen together. I guide her through a recipe. She can no longer crack the eggs but she is a rock star mixer. I hold her hand as she walks up steps and curbs and distances that feel a little too far for her to make it on her own. There's a little bit more role reversal as every day passes. But I wouldn't change it for anything. I am glad I am here for her like she was for me.

She is my mom. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MA!



No comments:

Post a Comment