Friday, July 21, 2017

Cheese and Crackers

I suppose one could survive on cheese and crackers and fruit. They are all food products with some nourishment. They are capable of filling up your stomach and quelling hunger pains. But the thought of my elderly parents having to eat cheese and crackers and fruit every day horrifies and frightens me.

In my past career, I traveled frequently but since becoming a teacher, my travel is limited to one trip per year and, maybe, a weekend or a night away occasionally. Before departing for an adventure with my nephew this summer, I cleaned out the refrigerator and restocked it with various beverages, snacks, and pre-made meals (which were mostly leftovers from larger meals I made the previous week). Recently I returned from that five-day trip, only to discover that the pre-made meals were still in the freezer and that my parents had consumed mostly fruit and cheese while I was away.

While this may seem a trivial worry to many, it is merely one of many concerns that rotate through my brain on a daily basis. What if I am not there? What won't happen? Will they eat? Will they clean up after themselves? Will anyone visit?

It has been said that to worry is to focus on the negative and that too much time worrying detracts from productivity and enjoyment. So, I try to enjoy the moment. However, in the back of my head, I am still wondering what happens when they are out of cheese?

No comments:

Post a Comment